Meeting Room Policy
The Oak Lawn Public Library has meeting rooms available to community organizations whose objectives are cultural, educational or civic in nature. Use of Meeting Rooms does not constitute endorsement by the Oak Lawn Public Library. The Library will not discriminate in making meeting rooms available on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, political affiliation or physical limitation.
Priority will be given as follows:
(1) Library sponsored programs
II. Meeting Room Access
- Meeting Rooms are available during regular Library hours.
- Meeting must end 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Meetings must be open to the public.
- Users must not require fees or request donations.
- Users must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are responsible for providing, and if necessary paying for, qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids, upon request, to individuals who require certain accommodations that would enable them to observe and/or participate in the meeting.
III. General Rules and Restrictions
- Light, cold refreshments such as cookies or sandwiches (alcoholic beverages prohibited) may be served when pre-approved by the Library. The group is responsible for leaving the room in the condition in which it was found. Charges will be assessed for extra clean-up.
- The applicant must be present at all times.
- The Library is not responsible for personal possessions.
- The applicant is responsible for the behavior, well-being and safety of participants. Adequate adult supervision of minors is required at all times.
- Library staff will not be made available to change the established room arrangement.
- Audiovisual equipment is available in all rooms. If use is required, notice must be given on the reservation. Best practice involves electronic presentations connecting to equipment by USB drive.
- Wireless Internet access is available in all meeting rooms. Meeting room phones are only for emergencies.
- For the safety of all in attendance, users must read a statement at the opening of each meeting that identifies the available emergency exit routes and cautions against using the elevator during emergency situations. A copy of the statement and an evacuation map, along with a Hold Harmless/Indemnity Agreement, are provided to each applicant on the day of the meeting, upon checking in at the Reception Booth.
- Partition walls are thin; please be respectful of the noise level for those in the adjoining room.
IV. Prohibited Uses and Activities
Library Meeting Rooms cannot be used for the following activities:
- The sales, promotion or advertisement of a commercial product or service.
- Conducting classes or programs that involve a fee for participation.
- Employee recruitment.
- Social functions including, but not limited to, weddings, anniversary parties and fundraisers.
- Legal depositions or proceedings pertaining to a lawsuit.
- Political meetings supporting or opposing a proposition to a candidate.
- Religious services.
V. Reservation Process
- All requests are to be made online at meetingrooms.olpl.org. Reservations are approved on a first-come, first-served basis within three business days of submitting a request. An e-mail address is required.
- Meetings are reserved up to 90 days in advance.
- The Library requires that room reservation requests are submitted seven days prior to an event. Applicants will receive an e-mail confirmation upon approval.
- The applicant must be a member of the sponsoring organization.
- The Library reserves the right to change meeting locations without prior notice.
- The Library determines if a request monopolizes space and unfairly restricts use by other organizations. In general, this means no more than four meetings a month.
- If a meeting is canceled, please notify the Public Relations Assistant immediately.
- In the event of an emergency closing of the Library, all reservations are canceled and any paid fees will be refunded. Library staff will attempt to inform the applicant.
VI. Meeting Room Fees
- Meeting rooms are free to Oak Lawn residents and Oak Lawn based organizations.
- The Library requires a fee for each use by non-residents and organizations outside of Oak Lawn. Payment of the non-refundable fee is required for confirmation of the reservation by check (made payable to Oak Lawn Public Library). Checks must be received within seven days of reservation submission or the request will be denied.
- All advertisements and announcements must clearly state that the meeting is not sponsored by the Oak Lawn Public Library.
- The Library will not handle attendee registration, and the Library is not to be included as a source for further information about the meeting.
The Oak Lawn Public Library will discontinue the use of meeting rooms for those who do not abide by this policy or disrupt Library operations. This policy is not all-inclusive. Approval of meetings not described in this policy and any exceptions to this policy will be determined by the Marketing & Communications Manager or the Director.
Created by Erin Foley on
Jun 3rd, 2017 @ 1:32 PM.
Updated on Dec 14th, 2018 @ 3:31 PM.