The Board of Trustees of the Oak Lawn Public Library is seeking a professional and personable library director committed to leading a collaborative, progressive staff that supports a diverse community. This role will work together with a committed Board of Trustees who are invested in the community that serves a population of 56,690 in Southwest Suburban Chicago. Do your values include fostering curiosity, promoting innovation, empowerment through inclusivity and working collaboratively with others? If we have captured your library leadership aspirations, consider this opportunity!
Under policy guidance and direction from the 7 member Library Board, the director should be skilled in managing a $5.6 million budget, strategic, and financial planning with acute listening skills and the ability to respond to staff and best serve the needs of the Oak Lawn community.
Qualifications and Responsibilities
● High-level public library leadership experience with financial and planning responsibilities
● Researching, refining and committing with other community organizations in establishing a Long Range Plan
● Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to inspire staff, board and community
● Advocate and represent the library at public events and community organizations
● Master of Library Science degree from an ALA accredited school preferred.
● Minimum qualifications include at least 8 years professional library experience, including 4 years in an administrative capacity
● Excellent oral and writing skills are imperative as this position requires writing reports and grants
For a detailed job description and Key Result Areas see:
Please submit a cover letter, current resume, and three professional references using Word or PDF attachments.
Highly competitive salary is negotiable based on experience and qualifications. An excellent benefits package is included.
The library participates in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Created by Erin Foley on
Jun 5th, 2017 @ 12:14 PM.
Updated on Oct 6th, 2020 @ 8:30 AM.