Academy Awards History
African Americans and the Oscars
Since today is the start of Black History Month I think it is appropriate to start off our countdown to the Oscars with a list of the past African American Oscar winners. Here are the winners along with their films. I have included the links to our DVDs but many of these movies are also available in the Blu-Ray format. All information is from the Wikipedia article List of black Academy Award winners and nominees .
- Hattie McDaniel in Gone With The Wind. Best Supporting Actress 1940.
- Sidney Poitier in Lillies of the Field . Best Actor 1963
- . Isaac Hayes for the song "Theme from Shaft" from the movie Shaft 1971.
- Louis Gossett Jr. in An Officer and a Gentleman. Best Actor in a Supporting Role 1982.
- Irene Cara for Flashdance...What A Feeling from the movie Flashdance . Best Music, Original Song 1983.
- Prince for Purple Rain f rom the movie Purple Rain . Best Music, Original Score 1984.
- Stevie Wonder for I Just Called To Say I Love You from the movie The Woman in Red . Best Music, Original Song 1984.
- Lionel Ritchie for Say You Say Me from the movie White Nights . Best Music, Original Song
- Herbie Hancock for Round Midnight . Best Music, Original Score 1986.
- Willie D. Burton for the movie Bird . Best Sound Mixing 1988.
- Denzel Washington in Glory . Best Actor in a Supporting Role 1989.
- Russell Williams for Glory . Best Sound Mixing 1989.
- Whoopi Goldberg in Ghost . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 1990.
- Russell Williams for Dances With Wolves . Best Sound Mixing 1990.
- Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire . Best Actor in a Supporting Role 1996.
- Halle Berry in Monster's Ball . Best Actress 2001.
- Denzel Washington in Training Day . Best Actor 2001.
- Jamie Foxx in Ray . Best Actor 2004.
- Morgan Freeman in Million Dollar Baby . Best Actor in a Supporting Role 2004.
- Frayser Boy, Juicy J and DJ Paul for It's Hard Out Here For A PImp from the movie Hustle & Flow . Best Music, Original Song 2005.
- Forest Whitaker in The Last King of Scotland . Best Actor 2006.
- Jennifer Hudson in Dreamgirls . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2006.
- Willie D. Burton for Dreamgirls . Best Sound Mixing 2006.
- Mo'Nique in Precious . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2009.
- Roger Ross Williams for Music by Prudence . Best Documentary Short Subject 2009.
- Geoffrey Fletcher for Precious . Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) 2009.
- Octavia Spencer in The Help . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2011.
- T.J. Martin, director, for Undefeated . Best Documentary Film 2012.
- Steve McQueen for 12 Years a Slave . Best Picture 2013.
- Lupita Nyong'o in 12 Years A Slave . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2013.
- John Ridley for 12 Years a Slave . Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay 2013.
- Common and John Legend for Glory from the movie Selma . Best Music, Original Song 2014.
- Viola Davis in Fences . Best Actress in a Supporting Role 2016.
- Mahershala Ali in Moonlight . Best Actor in a Supporting Role 2016.
- Barry Jenkins and Terrell Alvin McCraney for Moonlight . Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay) 2016.
- Ezra Edelman, director and producer, for O.J. Made in America . Best Documentary Film 2016.
- Jordan Peele for Get Out . Best Writing (Original Screenplay) 2017.
- Kobe Bryant for Dear Basketball . Best Short Film (Animated) 2017.
Created by Julia Churchill on
Jan 25th, 2019 @ 10:28 AM.
Updated on Feb 1st, 2019 @ 1:29 PM.